Tuesday 18 October 2011

RIP RAG week

So it is decided. With 95% of class reps voting in favour of the RAG week replacement deal made with the University management I have to say I feel very pleased with the maturity of class reps. I was very worried we would see a block of people running for class reps for the sole purpose of voting down the deal. I have mixed feelings on the issue and the election in general. While I am no fan of public drunkeness and disorderly conduct I do feel that there could have been a lot done by the SU and the University in previous years to prevent the problem than RAG week became. To me it is apparent that the trouble associated with RAG week was a direct result of the lack of entertainment opportunities provided during this week to occupy students. I firmly believe that is a lot more effort went into the planning of the week in previous years we would have seen a lot less trouble. I am also very excited by the possibilities presented by the RAG week replacement 1 day festival. I think this has unlimited potential and could easily become one of the biggest music event in the west of Ireland next year. As part of the organisational commitee and the only one with significant experience, contacts and resources for organising festivals and events I feel I have a heel of a lot to offer that willl make previous RAG weeks pale in significance. We are already looking at using Fisheries Field as the venue which hosted the Galway Arts festival and are considering having 2 stages set up, one live stage and one dance stage. We are hoping to recreate a mini campus Oxygen or Electric picnic type event with sponsorship and hopefull attract some big acts. I am already pressing booking agents in the UK I have worked with previously for some major acts that will be touring around the projected time of the event and am excited as to the possibilities that are before us. Unfortunately I can't give away any details until we know exactly what our budget is and what we can work on but I would be very surprised if we didn;t attract some major DJs and bands for this. We have decided to run the event on a not for profit basis so this allows us to offer very competative ticket prices, especially if we gain good sponsors. More details are the unfold and watch this space :)

No comments:

Post a Comment