Thursday 6 October 2011

Equality week

Equality week, thus far has been a huge success. What has taken me so much time planning and worrying about seems to be going very well. The final line up for the week was as follows: Monday GiG Soc film screening – Milk 1pm – 3pm Large acoustic room The Kids aren’t alright 4pm Large Acoustic room Tuesday: GiG Soc film screening – 12.30 – 14.30 Brokeback Mountain in The Space FemSoc stormabout GiG Soc film screening – 15.30 – 17.30 Philadelphia in the Space GiG Soc film screenings 13.30 – 15.30 Swap shop event all day in Aras na Macleinn – Table set up, bring stuff to leave and take stuff you want!  Wednesday: Natty Wailer, FREE gig in college bar! Natty Wailer of Bob Marley and the Wailers! 9pm- 11.30 Equality parade 12pm Slutwalk 1pm Thursday: Same sex marriages, all day in Aras Na MacLeinn Brian Arkins – Lecture on Homosexuality in Ancient Greece (Classics soc) Lecture on Atheism and persecution in Ireland (Skeptic soc) TBC Blackboard Jungle free gig in college bar. Friday: Marriage Equality Lecture – Guest speaker – GiG Soc. TBC Throughout the week there was in place an open soap box for people to use to speak on any topic they wished. I myself used it a few times for various poetry recitals that were welcomed by many. Last night's gig in the College Bar was absolutely fantastic! Natty Wailler and the Reggae Vibes were electric from beginning to the end of the performance with greata crowd interaction and kept their set very relevent to the equality theme. Myself I was providing the front of house soundsystem with Sound System Solutions, which sounded fantastic, and spent the gig behind the sound desk which is exactly where I want to be all the time. There was a great crowd and smiles all round througout the evening. I have to say, in my experience that this was the best event I have ever seen in the college bar and I have had people who have been at NUI Galway a lot longer than I who told me the same. I feel very proud to have been a part of this magical evening. FEE Galway even got a shoutout from the man himself! In other news myself and Senan MacAoide were married today bytthe GiG Soc marriages overseen by Minister Royce. I am sure that the two of us will be very happy together. Right now I have to finish up, need to meet a guy with a soundsystem and some DJs and set up another stage for Blackboard Jungle in the college bar which starts at 9pm tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment